Feb 19, 2010

Georgetown Happenings

Today is Thursday , February 18. Our company, Liz, left last Saturday and we left the dock on monday. We have anchored on the other side of the harbor near sand dollar beach. The weather has not turned around much. We have had lots of wind still and cloudy skies. We are committed to staying here in Georgetown until we see that great bahamas weather we have heard about. Today I picked up the new starter assembly for my outboard. What a story. I had Andrew order it from the ship store in Newport and had it shipped to a company in FtLauderdale. They flew it here to Georgetown for $15.75. Then the fun started. I had to get a cab to the airport which cost $25, pay the shipping agent $20 for the paperwork. I then had to return to town to pay the $20 import tax at the customs office. This morning I rented a scooter for $20 and returned to the airport to pick up the package. How is that for supporting the economy of the Bahamas. By the way the original part cost $85. I am glad to say that the part has been installed and all is working fine.
I went snorkeling with a few friends two days ago and saw some more exotic fish. It was cold so I did not stay in the water very long. We hope to do a lot more snorkeling when the weather improves. One of the fish I saw was called a tiger fish and I found out later that if he had stong me I could have died. Needless to say I will avoid that one the next time.
There must be over 200 boats here now and more arrive every day. It seems as if most have been here before and know that the weather is about to improve in the next few weeks. I will try to post some pictures tomorrow to make the entry more enjoyable.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Peter and Jane;
Its been good reading your blog and good to read you're having a good time despite the cold weather. Like the early settlers said "go west young man" you need to heed their words, weigh anchor and head south to the carribean. We just did a cruise late last month for a week from Jan Juan to the islands south and every day was 80's. You're so close you need to do it while you can.

Rich Fontaine
in new England.